Since then, the country's stark political divisions have yielded two rival seats of power: one in eastern Libya, with which Haftar is associated, and another in Tripoli, which enjoys United Nations support.
Video footage of a United States vessel leaving the Libyan coast near Tripoli has surfaced, indicating growing security concerns as eastern Libyan commander Khalifa Haftar leads his troops in an advance on the city.
The Government of National Accord (GNA) was created from peace talks in 2015, but has struggled to take control despite United Nations backing.
The pullout comes as a Libyan commander's forces advanced toward the capital of Tripoli and clashed with rival militias.
The forces of the Libyan Government of National Accord have regained Tripoli International Airport after defeating the forces of the retired Libyan Major General Khalifa that launched an attack on the capital Tripoli.
The Libyan National Army, led by the former officer in Kaddafi's army, said that 19 of its soldiers had been killed in the past few days, with its tightened control over the internationally recognised government in Tripoli.
Libya has been riven by divisions since the NATO-backed overthrow of dictator Muammar Qaddafi in 2011, with various armed groups and two parallel governments vying for territory and oil wealth.
Haftar's forces have advanced in mostly low-populated areas, but taking control of Tripoli constitutes a much greater challenge for them.
The LNA has conducted air strikes on the south of the city as it seeks to advance into the centre from a disused airport.Читайте также: China to join FAA's safety review panel on Boeing 737 MAX
Russian Federation on April 8 called for calm on all sides.
The BBC Arab affairs editor Sebastian Usher says some residents fear a long operation such as that which Gen Haftar mounted to take the eastern city of Benghazi from Islamist fighters in 2017.
Forces with the Tripoli government have announced an operation to defend the capital called "Volcano of Anger".
The UN's high commissioner for refugees, Filippo Grandi, called for the warring parties to "spare civilians, including refugees and migrants trapped in the country".
In a statement released today, Ribeiro said that the escalation of violence in and around Tripoli has caused the displacement of more than 2,800 persons fleeing from fighting, has blocked emergency services from reaching casualties and civilians, and damaged electricity lines.
Al-Serraj, 59, who comes from a wealthy business family, has run the Tripoli government since 2016 as part of UN-brokered deal boycotted by Haftar.
United Nations envoy Ghassan Salame, announcing its postponement, said: "We can not ask people to take part in the conference during gunfire and air strikes".
The national conference, which had been scheduled for April 14-16 in the central city of Ghadames, aimed to fix dates for legislative and presidential elections, and work towards a new constitution.При любом использовании материалов сайта и дочерних проектов, гиперссылка на обязательна.
«» 2007 - 2019 Copyright.
Автоматизированное извлечение информации сайта запрещено.
Код для вставки в блог