The Cuvier's beaked whale was seen by locals - still barely alive - floating in the shallows after it washed ashore in Compostela Valley, the Philippines on March 16 just after 5AM.
Blatchley said he hoped that the latest incident with the Cuvier's beaked whale would launch the issue of plastic pollution in the Philippines, and across the globe, to the forefront.
A whale washed up dead in the Philippines on Saturday 16 March, with 40 kg of trash in its stomach. "Action must be taken by the government against those who continue to treat the waterways and ocean as dumpsters", said the museum in the post.
The death comes just weeks after the Global Alliance for Incinerator Alternatives released a report on the "shocking" amount of single-use plastic in the Philippines, including almost 60 billion sachets a year.
Blatchley is the founder and owner of the D'Bone Collector Museum, a natural history museum in Davao City.
The animal died from starvation and was unable to eat because of the rubbish filling its stomach, said Mr Darrell Blatchley, director of D' Bone Collector Museum, which helped conduct the examination.Читайте также: Bianca Andreescu reaches final of BNP Paribas Open after upset of Svitolina
Cetaceans, Blatchley explained, don't drink water directly from the ocean but take it from the food they consume.
A dead whale with nearly 100 pounds of plastic in its stomach washed up ashore in the Philippines, raising concerns from environmental activists.
"It was showing signs of being emaciated" as well as being dehydrated, Blatchley said.
The death comes just weeks after the Global Alliance for Incinerator Alternative released a report on the "shocking" amount of single-use plastic in the Philippines, including almost 60 billion sachets a year. "Of them, 57 have died due to man - whether they ingested plastic or fishing nets or other waste, or gotten caught in pollution - and four were pregnant".
Environmental groups have tagged the Philippines as one of the world´s biggest ocean polluters due to its reliance on single-use plastic.
Blatchley and his team work with BFAR and other organizations to assist in rescue and recovery of marine animals. In June a year ago, a pilot whale was found dead in Thailand after swallowing 80 plastic bags.При любом использовании материалов сайта и дочерних проектов, гиперссылка на обязательна.
«» 2007 - 2019 Copyright.
Автоматизированное извлечение информации сайта запрещено.
Код для вставки в блог